G.C.S.E. / IB / ‘A’ Level Study Options
GENERAL ENVIRONMENTAL THEMES
- An introduction to the Laonas area.
- An introduction to the Akamas Peninsula.
ECOLOGICAL THEMES (ALSO BIOGEOGRAPHY)
- An introduction to the main types of terrestrial vegetation.
- Fire & Vegetation Ecology:
– soils, vegetation and the impact of fire in the landscape
- Vegetation, erosion and the impact of grazing.
- Coastal ecology:
– distribution patterns in the flora and fauna of a rocky shore
– zonation on an exposed rocky shore and a dune system
- Terrestrial invertebrates Ecology Study. Animals, and animal ecology of forest, garigue and steppe.
- Biomass Study Investigation of two habitats. Pyramids of numbers and biomass, food webs, energy transfer etc. of terrestrial invertebrates.
- Ecology of fresh-water:
– comparison of animals and their adaptations in contrasting habitats
– distribution patterns in a catchment, in relation to biotic and abiotic factors
– use of indicator species and biodiversity in assessment of spring-water quality
- Pond pollution study Comparison of 2-3 village water tanks’ water quality:
– the effects of agricultural methods on water. Use of bioindicator macroinvertebrates and abiotic parameters.